Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pursuit of Perfection

Sometimes a question keeps popping in my mind that whether it is good to be a perfectionist or be a Jack of all trades and Master of none.
Obviously, I know that it is always good to be a perfectionist and one yearns to join the league. But the tangible question is how to attain this divinity. When we behave with perfectionism, we basically want to make things perfect, or not make them at all. So is it like bad for us? I think, Yes, because when we manage to make things perfect at one point, it might be too late to reap the rewards from it.
Same was the case with me, where I tried to make my writings so perfect that I actually ended up writing nothing. Many a times, I felt like writing on various topics but my inner child curtailed me in writing for any non pertinent issues. Also, the colossal free time metamorphosed me to a Zombie which slaughtered the passion of newly formed leisure pursuit in me at a very nascent stage when I was trying to get it on the act. Well this was just an asinine excuse I made to myself.
As a result, it took me exactly a month to inscribe my next blog. I would not say that this blog is the aftermath of thinking since last month but yes, this certainly did give me the requisite drive to further take the voyage which I embarked on recently.
Anyways, what I realized off late is- at times we might end up never trying because we feel it is not perfect and could not work out. Hence, to strive for excellence is good, but we should realize that this will come along the way and from constant trial and errors and adaption. If we always try to get it perfected right from the beginning, we might get blocked and paralyzed. And as a saying “one should start with anything that is good enough and improve it from there”.
It is when we stop trying to do everything right that we start to do things well. These two things are not the same - but neither are they mutually exclusive.
So this did help me to understand the difference between trying for the best, and having to be perfect. As soon as we realize, we could maintain our standards, without having to be perfect, it becomes much easier for us to adapt to the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment